Periodic Table : MCQ with Answer
1. Newlands relation is called
(a) Musical Law
(b) Law of Octaves
(c) Periodic Law
(d) Atomic Mass Law
2. Upto which element, the Law of Octaves was found applicable?
3. In Mendeleev’s Periodic Table, gaps were left for the elements to be discovered later. Which of the following elements found a place in the Periodic Table later?
4. At the time of Mendeleev, the number of elements known was
5. The properties of eka-aluminium predicted by Mendeleev are the same as the properties of later discovered element:
6. An atom of an element has the electronic confi-guration 2,8,2. To which group does it belong?
(a) 4th group
(b) 6th group
(c) 3rd group
(d) 2nd group
7. The arrangement of elements in the Modem Periodic Table is based on their
(a) increasing atomic mass in the period
(b) increasing atomic number in the horizontal rows
(c) increasing atomic number in the vertical columns
(d) increasing atomic mass in the group
8. Where would you locate the element with electronic configuration 2, 8 in the Modern Periodic Table?
(a) Group 8
(b) Group 2
(c) Group 18
(d) Group 10
9. Element ‘X’ forms a chloride with the formula XCl2, which is a solid with high melting point. X would most likely be in the same group of the periodic table as:
10. Which of these belong to the same period?
Element A B C
Atomic number 2 10 5
(a) A, B
(b) B, C
(c) C, A
(d) A, B and C
Answer/ Explanation Reason. B(10) = 2, 8 and C(5) =(2, 3. Both have 2 periods.
11. ‘A’ belongs to the second period and Group 14. ‘B’ belongs to the third period and Group 14. If atomic number of ‘A’ is 6, the atomic number of ‘B’ is
12. Pick out the chemically most reactive elements from the given triads.
Li, Na, K F, Cl, Br
(a) Li and F
(b) Li and Br
(c) K and F
(d) K and Br
13. What is the atomic number of element of period 3 and group 17 of the Periodic Table?
14. Which one of the following statements is not correct about the trends in the properties of the elements of a period on going from left to right?
(a) The oxides become more acidic
(b) The elements become less metallic
(c) There is an increase in the number of valence electrons
(d) The atoms lose their electrons more easily
15. The elements A, B and C belong to groups 1, 14 and 17 respectively of the Periodic Table. Which two elements will form ionic compounds?
(a) A and B
(b) A and C
(c) B and C
16. An element X from group 2 of the Periodic Table reacts with Y from group 17 to form a compound. Give the formula of the compound.
17. A metal ‘M’ is in the first group of the Periodic Table. What will be the formula of its oxide?
18. Name the neutral atom in the Periodic Table which has the same number of electrons as K+ and Cl-.
19. An element X combines with oxygen to form an oxide XO. This oxide is electrically conducting. Write the formula of the compound formed when X reacts with chlorine.
20. An element X has mass number 40 and contains 21 neutrons in its atom. To which group of the Periodic Table does it belong?
(a) Group 1
(b) Group 4
(c) Group 2
(d) Group 3
21. Consider the following elements
20Ca, 8O, 18Ar, 16S, 4Be, 2He
Which of the above elements would you expect to be in group 16 of the Periodic Table?
(a) 20Ca and 16S
(b) 20Ca and 😯
(c) 18Ar and 16S
(d) 😯 and 16S
22. An element ‘A’ belongs to the third period and group 16 of the Periodic Table. Find out the valency of A.
(a) Valency = 6
(b) Valency = 2
(c) Valency = 1
(d) Valency = 3
23. Which one of the following statements is not correct about the trends in the properties of the elements of a group on going down in a group?
(a) The chemical reactivity of metals increases.
(b) The metallic character of elements increases.
(c) The size of the atom increases.
(d) The valence electrons increase.
24. Which of the following set of elements is written in order of their increasing metallic character?
(a) Na Li K
(b) C O N
(c) Mg Al Si
(d) Be Mg Ca
25. The atom of an element has electronic configuration 2, 8, 7. To which of the following elements would it be chemically similar?
(d) F (9)
26. Vertical columns are called as –
27. How many groups are there in the periodic table?
28. Which group was added in Mendleev’s periodic table?
A) I group
B) VIII group
C) zero group
D) V group
29. What is the special name given to the 17th group?
C) alkali metals
D) inert gases
30. Chalcogens are ?
A) ore forming
B) salt forming
C) hydroxide forming
31. Atomic mass is equal to the sum of ____.
C) Number of Protons
D) Number of neutrons
32. Name the most electronegative element of Periodic table ?
33. Electron affinity is ____.
A) always negative
B) always positive
C) can be negative or positive
34. Ionisation energy is measured in –
35. Out of Mg and Al which has higher ionisation energy?
C) Both have same
36. Write valency of Iron ?
37. Out of F and Cl, which has higher electron affinity ?
C) Both have same
38. Up to which element, the law of octaves was found to be applicable –
39. According to Mendeleev’s Periodic law, the elements were arranged in Periodic table according to –
A) Increasing atomic number
B) decreasing atomic number
C) Increasing atomic masses
D) decreasing atomic masses
40. In Mendeleev’s Periodic table, gaps were left for many elements. Pick any one out of them.
41. What relation do Ar and Ca have?
42. Isotopes possess –
A) same number of Protons
B) same number of neutrons
C) same mass number
43. On which factor does ionisation energy depend?
A) Size of an atom
B) nuclear charge
C) electronic configuration
44. Pick out the odd one –
45. Which is biggest in size –
46. Which out of them is not a halogen?
47. The standard element chosen for relative atomic mass is __.
C) chlorine -35
D) Iodine -121
48. Electronegativity depends upon ?
A) size of an atom
B) nuclear charge on atom
C) electrons in an atom
49. The order of ionisation energy of alkali group is –
50. Most electronegative element in group 2 is __.
51. Which of the given elements A,B,C,D and E with atomic numbers 2,3,7,10 and 30 belong to the same period?
52. The elements A,B,C,D,E have atomic numbers 9, 11, 17, 12and 13. Which elements belong to the same group?
A) A and B
B) B and D
C) A and C
D) D and E
53. Where would you locate the element with electronic configuration 2,8 in modern periodic table?
A) group 8
B) group 2
C) group 18
D) group 16
54. An element which is an essential constituent of all organic compounds belongs to ___.
A) group 1
B) group 14
C) group 15
55. Which one will have the maximum number of valence electrons ?
56. What type of oxide would eka-Aluminium form ?
57. The element with atomic number 14 is hard and forms acidic oxide and a covalent halide . To which of the category does it belong?
C) Non metal
D) Left hand side element
58. The law of octaves is given by ___.
59. The modern periodic table is given by ____.
60. Which element was not known when Mendeleev proposed the classification?
61. Three elements B, Si and Ge are ___.
B) Non metals
D) Metal,non metal ,metalloid respectively
62. Arrange the following elements in order of their increasing non metallic character Li, O, C, Be , F?
63. Arrange the following elements in order of their increasing metallic character Na,Si,Cl,Mg,Al ?
64. Which of them doesn’t loose electrons easily?
65. Which will loose electron easily?
66. Which out of them has the biggest radii?
67. Which of the following gives the correct order of atomic radii of O, F and N?
68. Which of the following, in their outermost shell has 2 valence electrons?
69. Element X forms the chloride with the formula XCl2, which is a solid with a high melting point. X is most likely to be in the same group of periodic table as –
70. Which set out of them shows the correct sequence of metallic characters?
A) Be ,Mg,Ca
71. On moving from left to right in a periodic table, size of an atom ?
C) Does not change
D) First increases then decreases
72. Which of the following elements will form acidic oxide?
A) with atomic number 7
B) with atomic number 3
C) with atomic number 12
D) with atomic number 19
73. Which statement is not correct for left to right movement in periodic table?
A) elements become less metallic from left to right
B) number of valence electrons increases
C) atoms lose electrons easily
D) oxides become more acidic
74. In periodic table, Helium is placed at ___
A) top left corner
B) bottom right corner
C) bottom left corner
D) top right corner
75. The number of electrons in valence shell determines –
A) Atomic mass
B) Group number
C) period number
D) Atomic volume