English Grammar : Vocabulary and Composition
1. What does ‘Lucid’ mean?
2. What is the correct meaning of “Classic”?
A. Of the first or highest quality
B. A long list
C. Loose, flowing robe
3. What is the synonym of Obesity?
4. What is meant by hall mark?
B. Genuine excellence
C A spot
D. A big mark
5. What does ‘dark horse’ mean?
D. Possessing a secret ability
6. What does ‘call up’ mean?
7. Choose the right alternative from the options given below :
A gourmet loves ………….
8. Choose the correct alternative from the options to fill in the blanks:
’In the time of danger, we should try to take the bull by the horns‘ means “In the time of danger we should try to ——— ”
A. Surmount it
B. Face the situation boldly
C. Overcome it
D. Control ourselves
9. Choose the word from the list which is nearest in meaning to the underlined part of the sentence :
The separation from a lover fills one’s mind with blues.
10. Choose the word from the list which is nearest in meaning to the underlined part of the sentence :
Hike in oil price may mar the future of the trade world.
11. Select the pair in the following options which is set in opposition :
A. Pedant — Pedagogic
B. Humid — Arid
C. Erroneous — Faulty
D. Horrible — Horrendous
- Answer : B. Humid – Arid
- Explanation : Pedant – literalist, Pedagogic – educative, Humid – marked by a relatively high level of water vapor in the atmosphere, Arid – too dry, Erroneous – incorrect, Faulty – defective , Horrible – terrible, Horrendous – horrifying
12. The specialist who handles problems in the human body related to bones is a / an
- Answer : B. Osteopathy
- Explanation : Orthodontist – dental specialists, Osteopath – Bone related, Podiatrist – a person who treats the feet and their ailments, Oncologist – Cancer specialists
13. Fill in the blank with the correct alternative from the ones supplied :
The man who follows his nose actually follows his………
14. Insert the appropriate phrasal verb in the blank below and make the sentence meaningful :
This evidence……. with what one already knows.
A. ties in
B. sets in
C. gives in
D. goes down
15. Fill in the blank with the correct alternative from the ones supplied :
Lachrymose nature means ———— .
B. Prone to anger
C. Prone to tear
- Answer : C. Prone to tear
- Explanation : Lachrymose – tearful , Lethargic – sluggish, Prone to anger – tendency to anger, Prone to tear – tendency to tear, Energetic – showing great activity
16. A duck is a bird, but to duck is ….
A. to feel shy
B. to refuse
C. to abandon
D. to avoid
17. Fill in the blank with the correct alternative from the ones supplied :
A man in the charge of farming and nurturing animals is called …………
A. A ploughman
B. A farmer
C. A firm-manager
D. A husbands man
18. A manicurist takes care of
19. Choose the right alternative from the options given :
A man with an irrationally fixed idea is called ………
A. An eccentric
B. A maniac
C. A manikin
D. A phobic
20. Fill in the blank with the right word :
A lame duck organization is one which needs _________.
21. Fill in the blanks in the sentences choosing the most meaningful alternative from the ones supplied :
The street is not properly……………
22. The prospect of her marriage is remote.
The opposite of ‘remote’, in this sentence, would be
23. Fill in the blanks in the sentences choosing the most meaningful alternative from the ones supplied :
The ____________ of the place attracts many ascetics.
24. ”To give a dog a bad name ” means
A. it is very difficult to destroy the reputation of a loyal person
B. it is very difficult to lose a bad reputation
C. it is very difficult to earn a good reputation in a bad company
D. it is very difficult to both be loyal and do something that jeopardizes self-reputation.
25. ‘We are superior to everybody else’ is the apt utterance of a / an
26. Select the pair in the following options which is set in opposition :
A. Doggish — Canine
B. Manly — Virile
C. Divine — Infernal
D. Earthly — Terrestrial
27. From the options choose the word most nearly opposite in meaning to those underlined in the following Sentence :
The high-handed ways of the manager made him an enemy of the people.
A. Submissive and friendly
28. From the given options choose the words nearest in meaning to those underlined in the sentences:
After a prolonged suffering he passed away.
A. went away
29. Choose the opposite of the following idiomatic expression from the options given :
To go to the dogs.
A. To turn over a new leaf
B. To oil one’s own machine
C. be off one’s head
D. To breathe one’s last
30. A pugilist is a ……….
31. Choose the right word from the alternative to complete the sentence idiomatically :
A clever man sweeps his family scandals under the ___________ .
32. Baptism of fire means………
A. a fire fighting act
B. a bad beginning in the first job
C. a difficult introduction to an experience
D. a religious experience
33. Choose the correct alternative from the ones supplied :
Detect where the adjective “public” is used in a derogatory sense :
A. Public house
B. Public Woman
C. Public servant
D. Public speech
34. Fill in the blank with correct word to make the sentence meaningful :
It is usual nowadays to blow one’s own ———— to impress others.
35. What does ‘wild goose chase’ mean?
[A] To go hunting
[B] To chase wild geese
[C] To go on a foolish, fruitless search
[D] To protect
36. ‘Samaritan’ – Which of the following?
[C] Kind people
[D] Bad people
37. What does ‘crocodile tears’ mean?
[A] Expression of sorrow
[B] Tears of animal
[C] False tears
[D] Painful expression
38. What does ‘Out and out’ mean?
[A] lost completely
[B] to throw away
[C] far away
39. What does ‘Gift of the gab’ mean?
40. Convert the given sentence into an interrogative sentence : I will meet you at the train station.
A. When will you meet me ?
B. How will you meet me ?
C. Where will you meet me ?
D. Can’t you meet me ?
41. Choose the correct prepositions to fill in the blanks
Competitors _________ the globe took part in the game.
42. Choose the word from the list which is nearest in meaning to the underlined parts of the sentences:
He pierced the balloon with a pin.
43. Change of Voice : Amit is singing a song.
A. A song has been being sung by Amit.
B. A song is sung by Amit.
C. A song has being sung by Amit.
D. A song is being sung by Amit.
44. I was alarmed ____ the news of my brother’s illness.
45. Choose the correct alternatives from the options to fill in the blanks:
They ‘laughed down’ the man means that they _______ the man.
B. Laughed with
C. Ridiculed and belittled
46. Select the right answer : My watch is five minutes _____.
47. The idiomatic expression ‘see eye to eye’ means
A. agree with someone
B. to remain neutral
C. to take over (something)
D. to enjoy the best of both
48. Fill in the blank with an infinitive :
_____ is worth ambition.
A. To borrow
B. To reign
C. To repent
D. To cry
49. Choose the correct preposition.
He preferred classical music —— popular numbers.
50. “Love for the whole world” is called….
51. Select the pair among the following which is set in opposition
A. Wanton : Restrained
B. Sardonic : Bitter
C. Bright : Refulgent
D. Fetch : Bring
52. ‘Hold fire’ means
A. To delay doing something
B. Catch Fire
C. Prevent fire
53. He entered the hall in the ____ part of the show.
Which is the right answer ?
54. He says he has invented a time machine, which is clearly a load of cobblers.
55. Choose the right option to rewrite the sentence :
No sooner _________ the sun risen than the fog disappeared.
56. Fill in the blank with the suitable option :
Let’s meet —— next week.
C. some time
D. some times
57. Fill in with the appropriate word :
The jury ___________ divided in their opinion.
C. have been
58. Add a suitable prefix to form the opposite of the word ‘Balance’
59. The word “necrophilia” means
A. Love for insects
B. Love for children
C. Cultivation of knowledge
D. Fascination with dead bodies
60. Ram made the most ________ his resources. Choose the correct preposition.
61. “Ornithology” is the study of which ?
62. The detective suddenly ____ a useful clue.
Fill in with the right phrasal verb.
A. gave in
B. came across
C. fill up
D. fell down
63. Find the appropriate synonym of the word ‘Indefatigable’
64. The word ‘beleaguered’ means
65. Put in a correct participle in the blank space :
The car was _______ down the slope.
D. having arrived
66. Convert the given sentence into a simple sentence :
Pancakes are delicious but not without syrup.
A. Pancakes are delicious when served with syrup.
B. Pancakes are delicious only with syrup.
C. If served with syrup, pancakes are delicious.
D. None of the above
67. She wanted to go on vacation, so she saved money.
Convert this to a simple sentence.
A. As she wanted to go on vacation she saved money.
B. She saved money for vacation.
C. She wanted to go on vacation and saved her money.
D. Although she saved her money, she wanted to go on vacation.
68. Change the voice of the verb and select the correct answer:
‘The script is being written.’
A. The script will have to be written.
B. Write the script.
C. They are writing the script.
D. They have been writing the script.
69. Which is the correct form of the given sentence: They discussed about the matter.
A. They had discussed about the matter.
B. They should have discussed about the matter.
C. They discussed the matter.
D. The given sentence is correct.
70. Fill in with the right option : I —— him for a long time.
A. have known
C. had known
D. should have known
71. Select the correct answer to fill in the blank : I am sure I —— him before.
A. have met
C. had met
D. will meet
72. Fill in with suitable conjunction : He advanced —— he could.
C. as far as
73. Correct the following sentence and choose the right answer :
We had gone to the movies last night.
A. We had had gone to the movies last night.
B. We went to the movies last night.
C. We should have gone to the movies last night.
D. We have gone to the movies last night.
74. The tranquility and sanctity of the place soothed us. Replace the underlined word with a suitable word.
75. Choose the correct meaning of the word from the alternatives given below :
A la mode
76. ‘Cinema’ may be used with
77. Select the correct meaning of the idiom underlined below :
Everything was at sixes and sevens.
78. Insert proper words in the sentence :
Here is the man _____ you asked _____ .
A. whom, about
B. that, for
C. for, from
D. this, for
79. Fill in, with relative pronoun, the blank space below :
The man _______ briefcase was lost, reported to the police.
80. Fill in the blank with the correct preposition given below :
He saved her ________ certain death.
81. Fill in the blank with the correct word given below :
He wanted to ________ out.
82. An Epicurean is one who
C. Enjoys pleasure
83. An illness that is likely to be fatal is
84. Sorrow may be expressed by the following interjections :
A. Hurrah !
B. Bravo !
C. Oh !
D. Alas !
85. ‘Made up his mind’ means
86. Fill in the blank with the correct word :
A _____ jewel was in the locker.
87. Fill in the blank with the correct word :
The river was _______ the bank.
88. Fill in the blank with the correct word :
_____ he was late, he come home by nine.
89. Fill in the space with an infinitive :
It is easy _____ but hard to finish.
A. to end
B. to fall
C. to lose
D. to begin
90. Use suitable auxiliary verb to fill in the blank space :
You _____ catch the train at once.
91. ‘At daggers drawn’ means
B. On bad terms with
92. Insert proper preposition in the sentence.
He was waiting ____ the train.
93. Insert correct word in the blank space :
Finish your task in a ______ mariner.
94. There was no _____ in the rain. (Insert correct phrasal verb)
A. let up
B. let in
C. let off
D. let go
95. Choose the word opposite in meaning to the word underlined below :
The darkness covered the whole countryside.
96. Select the correct meaning of the idiom underlined below
We didn’t really want that particular hotel, but it was a case of Hobson’s Choice.
A. state of dilemma
B. taking what is available or nothing at all
C. teacher’s choice
97. An indefatigable person remains
98. Fill in the blank with the appropriate preposition :
She was running short _____ time.
99. One who considers the happiness and well being of others first is an
100. Fill in the blank with the appropriate infinitive :
____ is human
A. To laugh
B. To err
C. To read
D. To save
Click on the “Download PDF” button to download PDF of GK (General Knowledge) Question-Answers .